Saturday 4 June 2011

Few interesting facts about water (2)

There is the bug called Nartnik which can rise on the water. When You will carefully put the needle, or plastic card, they would not sink. Why?

It is god question, because as Archimedes said, : every objects which is thicker than water will sink. Objects can float on the water when the relation of thickness is opposite. For example ball made from steel will surly sink, bud ship which is also made from steel is no going down, because average thickness of steel and air inside the ship is smaller than thickness of water. Force of lift is working only when the part of object is submerged into the water. Needle , nartnik or plastic card can float on the water not submerging in it, so the Archimedes theory do not concerns them. Before every object pierce the water surface it meets with obstacle, the surface tention. Water pane is like membrane which can band a little. When on the water pane there are little objects which are not absorbing water, they are able to lie on the water surface.

In this context it is appropriate to mention about the lizard called basilisk or even “Jesus”. Second name isconnected with the fact that this lizard can walk, precisely run, on the water. It is not using the water pane tension because it is to heavy. It is using its wide feet, fast legs and special technique. Basilisk is not attacking water bu his leg straightly, but his legs are directed aslant, what protect them from sinking and give stabilization. Here are some video materials of this amazing creature, and some people who tries to achieve the same effects.

http://www.focus.pl/rozrywka/video/kategoria-rozrywka-video/0/film/jaszczurka-biegajaca-po-wodzie/strona-video/2/sortowanie-video/1/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe3St1GgoHQ

Do you think that people will be able in future to walk on the water?

How great achievement was the Archimedes observation?

Have You ever heard about what you just have read?

11 comments:

  1. Maybe people will be able to walk on the water in the feature but I think that only with special devices. Our body is to heavy and our shapes will not allow us to stay and walk on the water. I think that Archimedes achievement was great but I don't exactly understand it. I have never heard about this problem which you discribe in this presentation. Maybe the reason is that I am not interesting such problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe3St1GgoHQ
    Have you heard about the Liquid Mountaineering? This is a sport that is all about running on water ;)



    ...
    It's all fake and just a viral ad, but still nice to watch. But it's also a reason why I will never believe that peopole will someday be able to walk on water. I've heard about those animals, but I think there's no way for human to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see no point for walking on water apart from it being cool.

    Archimedes observations were one of the greatest, laying foundings for todays mechanics and aerodynamics.

    All of these laws are known to me but nonetheless there are very interesting and good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that lizard on that movie, looks amazing when she's running on the water. Liquid Mountaineering is a new sport, with the right water repellent equipment you can run across bodies of water and I think that with special equipment people will be able in future to walk on the water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've watched both videos and found similarity between lizadr "Jesus" and "fast walking" from Liquid Mountaineering (see owh they moving with legs ;)) I know that Liquid Mountaineering is fake, but it's funny and nice to watch :)
    Personally i don't believe that people can walk on water in future, maybe on invisible path, made of super-hard glass or plastic located 1 cm below the water level. That will give to ypu a optical illusion that man can walk on surface ;)

    About Archimedes observation I really don't know so much. I remember a legend about him, king and his crown, do you know about it? Im sure taht you know :) if not Uncle Google will help ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I first saw this film I was like "wtf, Archimedes what happened?". Then I thought "fake" but I was too lazy to find proves, I'm glad I'm not the first person who doesn't believe in this, but nice troll.
    I think people will construct some cool shoes for walking on water in future, but it's not necessary for us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think people will be able to walk on the water if it will be needed, but I can't find any good reason to do this ;)
    The movie about lizard was very funny, I think I have already seen it. It is interesting what mother nature can create :) And the snake was surprised ;)
    I agree with grafikarolina that Liquid Mountaineering is fake. I could not believe in it too.
    About Archimedes, I have read that he didn't like to like to wash ;)
    He was surely the great Greek philosopher and his observation is one of the basis of science.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As we can see hard working we can achieve unbeliveable effect. Many people try to cheat and want to make things we are not able to do.

    The lizard reminds me a freak of nature :) Animals have abilities to avoid dangerous situations we are searching this to improve we can do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was aware of this lizard existing and I think it is a really remarkable show to watch. As for people running on water it does look like another fun sport to try, but walking on water on everyday basis? As Adam Młodziejowski I also don't see much point in it. Especially in the vicinity of Warsaw. Walking on water would mean strolling on some ponds and maybe fighting with the Vistula river's current.

    And as far as Archimedes' observation is concerned there is no doubt that it was great as Archimedes was a great man. But I still doubt he shouted 'Eureka!'

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is not somethink new. Even in poland you can find bugs thats floating/walking on water. You can try experiment: Fill a cup with water, and try to put a "grosz" on it. It will float.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yea, liquid mountaining is really cool:)
    As to the people walking on water, I think that once this is possible, maybe as a result of evolution or that will be require adaptation on the earth will be because a lot of water ... who knows .. :)

    ReplyDelete