Saturday 4 June 2011

Few interesting facts about water (3)

Last part of presentation is a case described by one man on some forum. Here it is. He said that for few weeks on his terrace there was 5l curved bottle with 1,5 l water in it. It was at the very beginning of winter so the temperature outside was about -5 degrees. He took the bottle from the terrace to his flat where temperature was about 21 degrees. He screwed the bottle and after a while he poured water into the sink. And there would be nothing interesting in this case expect that when water from the bottle landed into the sink it suddenly changed into the ice. It is the occurrence of overcooling liquid. Typical liquid theoretically should change into crystal substance in the temperature of coagulation. But crystallization is process which demand some initiation. In described case this initiation was the thrilling of the bottle. If we would like to reach the effect of overcooled substance we ought to decrease its temperature very slow, or so fast that it has no time to crystallize. I ought to test it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqvqk7Fjn3U

And last question and interesting fact connected with water I would like to present is: why we can slide on the ice? So simple question but not so obvious answer. It is known that for the good sliding conditions responsible is thick water layer which is between the skate blade and pane. Friction between skater and ice is 100 times smaller than between the brick shifting on the thick layer of sand. In the nature so little friction is only in our joints. For many years people thought that for the occurrence of melting the ice responsible is the pressure of the skater to the ice. But researches have shown that skater ought to weight 500 kg to melt enough ice under its pressure. Scientist relatively recently came to the conclusion that the friction is responsible for melting the ice. During skaters ride warmth is totally used to melting the ice. Behind the skater there are white lines on the ice. This is the result of fast freezing of this thick layer of water which was melted as the effect of fraction between skater and ice.

Was this presentation interesting for you?

Would you like to try reach the overcool liquid effect?

Do you like to skate or you preffer to roller-skate?

15 comments:

  1. For me it was the most interesting presentation at all. I have never seen something similar. It was amaizing. I must try it at home. I didn't know that something like this is possible. It is fantastic. I prefer skate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...after looking at my presentation after a while there is one more question i would like to ask. Have You ever had problem for which You were searching the solution in the internet? Except answers for exams at school because it is most common. Situation with overcooling water was described on some forum, and this guy found the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It might sound silly, but water is pretty amazing :) The presentation was really interesting!

    If it comes to overcooling the water I have done it once by an accident! :) I left a bottle in the garage in the winter. When I came back and moved the bottle the drink inside instantly froze. Cool stuff :)

    I find skating more difficult than rollerskating... but playing on ice is still fun though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try doing this ;)
    http://www.kciuk.pl/Niezwykla-sztuczka-z-kubkiem-pelnym-wody-a42681

    I like your presentation, it's short but interesting. Thumbs up!
    I might try overcooling beer sometimes soon, could be a good idea for high temperatures outside.

    I deffinately prefer roller skates because I don't like winter and when it's cold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My eye caught the experiment with water. Really very interesting. for sure he'll try to do it in the next winter season. I do not like either skate and roller skate so hard for me to assess this part of your entry. After all, I learned some interesting facts from this presentation

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the experiment with the overcool liquid effect! It was really interesting for me and i was shocked watching the movie with that experiment. I'll try it later at my home and see if it's true ;)

    I perfer skate, because I like winter and really fast moving on ice :) roller skale is also fine, but not for a bumpy ride or "cat heads".

    Adam gave a link to "amazing trick with a cup of water", it was interesting, but I'm thinking if it's true or this "water-cup" was really make in 3D. It look for me a little bit fake..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha Adam is trolling people with this trick, they will waste a lot of water ;P
    This movie is of course a fake, but made very very well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great trial by this AE magician ;) there is controversial comment under this video that"taką sztuczką można oszukać młodsze pokolenie ,które ma wodę w głowie od nadmiaru internetu". There are many videos in internet which are not fakes, but they are so amazing that they seems to be. But also there are beautiful productions, which are recorded to check how many people will believe it is true.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is very interesting presentation :) I have never heard about overcooled substance. It is hard to believe in it even after watching the movie ;) water is a substance that we use every day, but it is still surprising. Maybe I will try overcooled water effect at home.

    I love to skate. When I was a kid I was skating almost everyday in winter. Now I don't have much time, so I do it occasionally.
    Roller-skate is also fun for me :))

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to admit it was an interesting presentation, I learned few new things. I'll definitely try this overcooled liquid effect when the temperature outside is proper for it.

    About skating and roller-skating - I don't really have preferences as I only have skates at the moment, I don't do much roller-skating, but I am planning to change it and buy myself roller-blades.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the presentation was interesting. Not once tried to do the things on film, but I never succeeded. When I first saw it I could not believe it is possible. But when I watched more movies, I believe:) If I had to choose between these two sports, I prefer the skates. In winter when in the city you do not have how to participate in sports, you can spend time with friends. And in the summer,i prefere cycling instead of roller-skating.

    ReplyDelete
  12. For me it was very interesting presentation and I like the experiment with the overcool liquid effect. I will try overcooled water effect myself at home. I like skating in winter time and roller - skating on summer but I prefer roller-skate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing, in my whole life I haven't heard about this experiment and overcool liquid effect, and it is very easy to implement.
    Immediately after reading your presentation I tried to do it and actually works :) Maybe I didn't get as cool as in the video, but it works. I'm impressed, and it immediately improved my mood.
    I really like your presentation, cool theme and interestingly presented.
    As for inline skates, I think that if someone likes skating, someone also likes roller-skate, and vice versa. These sports are similar sports and give a similar impression.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always thought that the pressure of skater melt ice :D

    I prefer skating. Probably becouse I have never tried roller skating...

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wonder that anyone ever has tried immediately drink the overcooled water?
    I prefer roller-skate because when I ride it's warm:)

    ReplyDelete