Tuesday 19 April 2011

X-treme sports Part 1/3


Hi everyone,
I would like to tell you about extreme sports.
What are they?Why do people practice them?
How does it affect them?

So let's start from the beginning, ie from the definition. As there is
no clear definition we will use the definition used by the insurance
companies:"The extreme sports are considered to be the disciplines that require
extraordinary skills, courage and ability to cope in very risky, often
life-threatening conditions."source: http://www.ergohestia.pl/_items/owu/owu-hp-2042.pdf

Insurers list extreme sports such as:
bungee jumping, BASE jumping, caving, sports aviation (except sports
balloon, parachuting and paragliding), mountain biking, motocross,
riding jet skis, motor boat racing.

At this point many of you are probably wondering what is so "extreme"
in mountain biking for example, or why other sport fields such as ski
jumping and diving have not been mentioned.

The answer is simple, insurance companies classify them as high-risk
sports, but not extreme. It only means that when practicing these
sports less fatal accidents take place and people could be less
harmed. But does this mean that they are easier or less spectacular?
Of course not!

According to the popular definition, there are much more extreme
sports. Some even consider playing poker as one, because like other
disciplines it requires skills and can provide a lot of adrenaline
especially when high stakes are involved.

In the next part, I will present some interesting sports and their
main representatives. But I will not list all categories classified as
extreme sports.

Why?
The reason is simple - there are too many! In addition, the rate of
their creation and the rate of development of existing ones are so
great that even in this very minute a new extreme sport might be
created!
We already know roughly what we're dealing with, let's consider now
why people are risking their lives and health?

In the name of what?

What is the objective pursued by them?

Extreme sports have been admired ever since, because they deliver
excitement and adrenaline to the viewers of all ages. Even when being
a child, a person feels the need to catch attention, to be admired, to
impress others, to gain self-fulfillment . If we were talking about a
normal sport I would add that above it all comes health, but in this
case, it probably does not work ...Another reason is a longing for adventure, and ....

Nowadays people do not climb the trees to find a shelter from the
tiger and not worry about catching something to eat, we lack an

ADRENALINE!

adrenaline. For most people, the adrenaline is associated with
unpleasant stress during a job interview or during the exam.
However, ask anyone who has experienced a great adventure such as,
parachute jumping, rafting or flying in the air on a motorcycle doing
most extraordinary acrobatic movements.

Everyone (some after a while) will tell you it was great!

Personally, I was afraid of heights. Last year I was rock climbing in
Jura Krakowsko-Częstochowska to learn to climb with the bottom
assurance. I was scared as hell but I overcame that fear and I can
assure you - I have never felt happier and more alive in my whole
life!


Extreme Sports surround us and they have become an integral part of
mass culture. Most obvious examples are the festivals organized by Red
Bull ( X-Fighters), ski jumping that was popularized by our Adaś and
F1 races which have gained recognition due to Robert. Extreme Sports
appear in the advertisements (eg MountainDew), on the streets
(skateboards, roller skates, bmx-y), on holidays - seaside
windsurfing, kitesurfing, snowboarding in the mountains.

Extreme sports have become an integral part of our lives.
Some might say at this point:




"Yes, but it is only for youth, older people are not doing anything
like that at all."
Nothing could be more incorrect!
Well, trips to PaintBall, rafting or hiking combined with elements of
rock climbing have become popular in companies. This form of active
rest integrates a group and forms close bonds of trust and
partnership.

Next time I will present you the titans of extreme sports, people which most of you should known. I will introduce to you the gods among men, who reached the sky!

13 comments:

  1. I have friends who like rock climbing. Personally I'm not interested, I prefer hearing and watching photos of them instead climbing up, but they are just in love in with this sport.
    I was always amazed how much people can sacrifise just for this crazy kind of sport. For me climbing on Giewont is hardcore adventure :D But I've always wanted to try bungee jumping, yet I'm too scared. I think I'm kind of catastrophic person who believs that rope will crack when I'll be jumping.
    But I'm glad it's not reserved only for young ones and older people can have fun too. Maybe when I will retire I will try such thing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my life and I hate adrenaline. I want to live safety and not to risk without needs. I know people which loves risk and they are just seek when not feels adrenaline. For me it is dangerous to look for troubles. All this extreme sports may hurts yourself. If you love your life i suggest you: do not look for situations when your adrenaline rising up so it makes that you will live a little bit longer then other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No everyone has the same reason to do extreme sport. I know people who do this to forget about the problems or show the others how crazy they are.
    Sometimes it`s a good way to not thinking about the illness. We can run away from negative thoughts. Doing something extremely danger we can be much closer to death. When we cannot hide from death we just want to get used for this feeling.

    The fear can be addicted.

    I like risk but not so high to be danger for my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sport, for me it doesn't have to be extreme. Like somebody said "no risk no fun" I like fun without risk of my life. I like biking and soon I'm planning to try mountain biking and it will give me some adrenaline.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is paintball considered as an extreme sport?
    Personally I would like to do bungee jumping someday but I think I wouldn't make it after standing on this platform up high - and if I would try I think I would get heart attack while falling down :D This is why I prefer some normal sports at which there is also adrenaline like paintball (this is why I ask if it is considered as an extreme sport because I practice it from time to time).
    And regarding extreme sports check out this movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_-7Qp7uzbQ - for my those men are extremlely brave - and for them it is not a sport - it is their job! They are climbing 1,768 feet tower to change some llight, and there are moments that they have to be without any protection because other way they couldn't get higher. I wonder how much they are paid?:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I REALLY like extreme sports!! Not only watching but practicing too! I trained at windsurfing, at Samurai School a japanese sword style "battodo" and "chanbara" and I started snowboarding. First of all I LOVE ADRENALINE! :D I know I'm not typical women... I'm not weak and anemic, but always hard, with too much energy and strenght! estudiante said "Somebody said <>" what that "somebody" said is right! Because for me when I didnt make any risk, then my life is sooo boring!!! I'll like to try bungee jumping, paint ball, skydiving, diving, surfing and others extreme sports! :D I said before... I'm not typical women :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. My ways to raise my adrenaline are:
    - fast and aggressive car driving
    - hockey
    - do something spontanic and stupid

    I would like to try many extreme sports mentioned before but for many of them i'm not very well physically prepared. Secondly I am afraid of heights.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think many people do extreme sports to prove to themselves that they can, to overcome their fears.

    I agree that extreme sports are not only for youth, last year I saw a man around my father's age doing such things on snowboard I wish I could do.

    I don't agree with Artur Gwiazda that doing extreme sports is looking for trouble. The fact is that you can have an accident anywhere and I'd rather have an accident doing something exciting than just slipping on a pavement and breaking a leg.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with one of the speakers who said that people do extreme sports for different reasons. Some want to be noticed and recognizable, as it is often easier for them reach success.
    However, others do it with passion, everyone has something to dream about what they desire and often there are extreme sports. For them, the adrenaline is "daily bread", without which they can't function normally. Adrenaline gives them strength and undescribed happines.
    As the author, who wrote this article ... someday he had occasion to reaching the goal, which was the entrance to the summit, he felt so excited that he will remember this moment for a lifetime. Some people can not live without this feeling all the time trying to do dangerous things wanting to feel this incredible excitement after doing something unusual.
    I think everyone would like to try something dangerous. For example might be to jump with a parachute, windsurfing, drive bolide F1, fly hang-gliders, or going for rafting. But not everyone can afford it for various reasons, whether financial or health, but I think many of us are just afraid and we lack the courage. We often prefer to stay in front of televison and watching it lieing at sofa.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Somone has once said that 'the life is the movement'. We need changes, emotions (basically stimula) in order to feel that we are alive ;) I hope it works that way...

    But the adrenaline is not the only thing that can you help to reach that point! Everyone can simply find the activity (let it be a sport or not) that makes him feel better. There's a greeaat variety of hobbies, sports or games to choose from.

    The important thing is to find the one that suits you best. But in case of the extreme sports popularity nowadays I wouldn't say that people are choosing them, because they need 'a dose of adrenaline'.

    I believe that the fact that such sports are advertised by the companies like Red Bull just means that the extreme sports are mostly a marketing product... an invented life style to sell :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Artur. mk said that you can have a accident anywhere. This is true but what are the odds of breaking a leg on a pavement vs breaking your neck while doing acrobations on a motorbike?
    Sure, it's fun to watch but I'd pick a comfortable wheelchair beforehand and hope to never be forced to use it.
    When I feel the need for some adrenaline I play tenis, table tenis or even play a computer game. Till now it does its job well.
    Better be safe than sorry (it applies to many things ;-) )

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never even tried extreme sport, but I fully understand people who are doing it. Sometimes everyone just need to leave our safe apartment and do something, that make us feel alive ;) There are people that need more adrenaline than the others and extreme sports are for them.
    It is always a risk of an accident, but we can reduce it through proper equipment and our concentration.
    I think if you really want to do it - you should try :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that extreme sports allow people to unwind, to concentrate only on what they are doing and not focus on work, stress etc. This really helps, especially for those who might have stressful everyday life (e.g. work). Actually i think, that most of the extreme sports are not so dangerous as they look, as long as basic safety rules are obeyed.

    ReplyDelete