Tuesday 26 April 2011

Clown of the billionaires

You probably have seen clowns in your life while you were laughing in a circus tent. But if you were asked if clowns can change the world what would you answer? Probably you wouldn't believe in ordinary clowns with super power. Sounds ludicrously? I'd like to introduce you Mr. Guy Laliberte, a man called the clown of the billionaires.

He was born in 1959 in Canada and as a young boy he was taken by his parents to Ringling Brothers and to the Barnum & Bailey Circus show, and he just fell in love with the circus. It's how he started dreaming about becoming a circus star. He started as accordion player, stilt walker and fire-eater, finally founding out his own business – Circus du Soleil in 1984.

He started with a small group of talented artists and his friend - Daniel Gauthier. Quite original was the fact that Laliberte quit engaging animals into shows and every next show was amazingly created with theatre and artistic casing.

Originally Cirque du Solei was prepared for one-year project – a Holiday Festival – supported by the government on the occasion of Canada's 450th anniversary, but after a great success the government wanted Laliberte to show performances in other parts of the country. During that time Gilles Ste-Croix assisted him and from their cooperation a phrase appeared that Lalibere became the father of Cirque du Soleil, and Ste-Croix is the grandfather.

Since that time this Circus have been seen by more than 90 million people worldwide and its popularity grows each year.


The name „Cirque du Soleil” means circus of the sun. Laliberte came up with this idea being in Hawaii and observing their culture. He was inspired how Hawaiian people and their interpretation of the sun. He realised that he understands a spirit of circus just like they see the sun, and it is contained in two words which are „energy” and youth”.

The organization performs on five continents using mobile cirques. Of course they have stationary circus too, however if you want to see the show, you should buy a ticket a few years earlier.

One of the element of their show is „The Wheel of Death” - one of the most dangerous and spectacular circus machine.



After success Laliberte didn't turn into the ordinary entrepreneur, but he participated in the creation of every Cirque du Soleil show.

Laliberte became also the first Canadian space tourist, which cost him around 35 billion dollars, but it wasn't just a pleasure trip. This space flight was aimed to focus people’s awareness and eyes of the world on world water issues, poverty and organisations that help people, just like (his own) OneDrop Foundation or Oxfam.
He connected with 14 countries that time. He called this 120-minute performance a „poetic social mission” in space, which surely was a big event.



What does he do in the meantime? He founded an anti-poverty One Drop Foundation as I mentioned before, which cares about access to water in the poorest parts in the world. He has already donated over 100 million dollars.

„Dreams can come true, if we all engage in their creation, our will, energy and creativity. One drop, one step, we all can change the world” - says Laliberte and as we can see on his example, we can.

He is working with James Cameron to produce 3-dimensional motion picture, cooperating with Reebok in fitness program called „Jukari Fit to Fly”, and works on the project „Safewalls” which is an affair with artists.

Guy Laliberte doesn't want to retire his artistic life and prepares a lot of projects for the future, for example Cirque du Soleil is developing its third show based on music of Michael Jackson on October 2011.

At the end I'd like you to see the short show „Alegria” which means „joy”:



What do you think about Guy Laliberte?
Do you like circus or maybe you are afraid of clowns?
How did you like the „Algeria” show?


You can read and watch more here:

Here you can read more about types of shows in Cirque du Soleil: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Cirque_du_Soleil
http://www.onedrop.org/en/foundation/guy-laliberte-dream.aspx
I reccomend their official homepage: http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/welcome.aspx
http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/theatre/story/2009/10/01/f-guy-laliberte-backgrounder.html
http://www.onedrop.org/en/default.aspx
http://www.safewalls.org/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Lalibert%C3%A9
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cirque+du+soleil&aq=0

15 comments:

  1. As the man who had the talent to swallow fire, he went really far. What I like about him is that he is fighting to ensure that all people around the world access to clean drinking water and that in his circus has no animals. The show "Algeria" is really impressive. I'm not afraid of clouns and I would like to see one of his show in Cirque du Soleil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You wrote that they are perfoming on 5 continents - have they been in Poland? Probably not I guess.
    Quality of the movie is not the best and there are only moments of whole spectacl so it is hard to say anything about it - it would be good to see it live.
    You wrote that he organised space fligh worth 35 billion dollars to catch people attention on issues like lack of water etc. - while his organisation donated "only" 100 million dollars so far. So it would be better to donate those 35 billions than spend in on this event. Simple math :P All in all ofcourse it is good that he is donating any money but it could be always more. I didn't think that so much money can be earned on Circus.
    Have you seen Stevie Starr from Britain's Got Talent? I think he also could be in this circus. If not watch those movies:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4D2Y1cILyI&feature=relmfu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ethCJ4bfJkg&feature=relmfu
    What he does is incredbile and I can't imagine how he does it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I read Circus du Soleil unfortunately doesn't visit Poland.

    Of course there is always problem when rich people spend a lot of money on happening, paralelly donating foundations, and society has issues 'why you didn't spend this money on social stuff?'
    They surely have some rights, money are money, they could be spend well, but on the other hand it's really important to educate people, to focus their consciousness on the problem because it may change their life style which can effect on better life on whole planet, and as a result it may do more that these 35 bil dollars. Remember that we all with only our life style can do and change more that one guy with loads of money. So if he can even for a minute, stop the world and point the problem "hey guys, we're wasting water, don't ignore this problem". Society also disdains that fact just because the biggest problem with water is in Africa and people think that water issues don't affect on them. No dear, it's already here, near us. So really, do not understimate the power of mindful society. It's worth any money.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Circus reminds me a place where animals are used in cruel way. Clowns never got me laugh. I was twice on my life in Circus and I would never go there for sure again.
    This guy found a great way to make a money and I admire him. If more than 90 million people have seen his show that means it`s well done. Honestly, I don`t like clowns-they are overrated. I cannot imagine to invite clown to my birthday party :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is amazing how he get so much...
    It reminds me of Arnold Schwarzenegger.
    He started from being a body-builder. Later he started his career in movies, only becouse of his body. His career developed. He played in Conan, Terminator...
    He build his image playing in comedies. And at the end he is gouverner of california.
    It shows how someone achieves so much with incorrect approach.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @All: guys, check the data. Laliberte didn't spend 35 BILLION dollars on a space trip but "merely" 35 MILLION.

    As for Guy himself, it's nice to hear about people that chased their dreams and achieved something big. Who would expect a clown to become a successful entrepreneur and a millionaire?

    I found clowns the least amusing part of a circus, especially when it has great acrobatic shows (not that I have seen any in my life).

    Alegria itself made me rage because the song is one of my mom's favourites and she made me hear it zillions of times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like stories of men who made themselves, doesn't matter who they are. I admire the idea of working with passion on your own success.

    I'm not keen of the circus at all, it doesn't attract me. I know there are shows with no animals, just like Cirque du Soleil, but I'm not interested in it anyway. I'm not afraid of clowns, but still they don't make me laugh. It's not my kind of humour.

    There is some charm in shows in "Alegria" manner. It resembles to me the movie "Parnassus" with its baroque costumes and fantastic decoration. Unfortunately, it doesn't hide any mystery, as dr Parnassus shows did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Laliberte is interesting "guy" ;) Doing his passion he became a very rich person who started enjoy life, but doesn't forgot about poor people.

    I don't like circus, it's so boring. Maybe 50 years ago it was very entertaining, but now there are many better (for me) ways to spend free time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. It's the simple example of making fortune by a man who starts from zero. His passion was circus and it have given him idea for great bussiness. I admire such kind of people who makes big money from very simple things. I congratulate him the idea and what he has achieved.
    2. I don't afraid the clouns. I realy like them for their sense of humor and the things they can do.
    3. Alegria is one of the best circus shows i have ever seen. It is so beatiful event that you are watching it with interesting and fascinating. I regret that they have never been in Poland. I am sure that many people would like to see them. I also would go for this show.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love circus, clowns and their sense of humor. When clowns had their performance I always get laughed, but when I saw Circue du Soleil performances at youtube...my jaw dropped.. I was moved, enchanted and it was something amazing!! When I found out that they doesn't visit Poland it broke me :( The performances in Circue du Soleil are full of magic, poetry and something transitory.. I have great respect for Guy Laliberte for the fact that he was able to perform in circuses lead to an art! And for that he began all from total zero!
    So the topic of circus I would recommend this movie "Butterfly Circus", here you can watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyRnby4oE0E

    ReplyDelete
  12. Am I afraid of the clowns? Currently not :)
    But I had a trauma related to one specific clown, when I was a child. I watched 'IT' with my brother and after that I had enough of the clowns for some time :)

    Here's a sample of what can ruin one's childhood :D
    - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZGf2vnASHc (Watch it at your own risk, if you are 7 years old, hehe)
    - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_(1990_film)

    I share exactly the same opinion with Artur. This circus is a business. But it's simplicity is beautiful! This together with a pinch of passion can make wonders! And the Cirque du Soleil is simply wonderful :)

    Thanks for the video!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What do I think about Guy Laliberte? Well.. he's a clown. That's all I can say.

    I'm only afraid of evil clowns of doom, normal ones are harmless. At least I hope they are.

    I like this show, these people seem to have a passion and are very good at it. Some really hard work and perfection in smallest details. Thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What do you think about Guy Laliberte?
    I think he is an extraordinary man. He turned his passion into something amazing and turned it into art.

    Do you like circus or maybe you are afraid of clowns?
    I didn't like circus as a child. I was afraid of clowns and felt sorry for poor animals. As an adult I haven't been in circus.

    How did you like the „Algeria” show?
    I like „Algeria” very much. It is more art than circus :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Guy Laliberte is a great example of a person who loves what he's doing and didn't hesitate to show it to others. I really don't like circus at all, and I never didn't. but after seeing the "Alegria" show I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete