Sunday 10 April 2011

World of Silence – deaf people. Part One.

There are always the sounds around us, from birth we are accompanied by different kinds of sounds. The barking of dogs, talking people, music... Can you imagine complete silence? There aren't any sounds, not higher or lower sounds, it's nothing!

Have you ever tried to cover your ears and stand all day without sounds? I bet you didn’t. You live with these sounds and they create you.


But there is a World of Silence next to your World of Sound! In the silence there live deaf people, the hearing impaired, hearing loss and deaf. They spend their whole life in silence, from birth until death.


And now, a small medical explanation of deafness: it is a complete inability to receive sounds. It can be congenital, acquired or genetic.


Congenital deafness - may be caused by, among others: the mother's disease during pregnancy (especially in the first 12 weeks of gestation), and toxic factors damaging the fetus (such as drugs, stimulants) and hormonal disorders.

Acquired deafness - caused by mechanical injuries arising during childbirth. It also causes factors in the further development, including: acute or chronic ear disease, infectious diseases, diseases of high fever (meningitis), antibiotics, chemical injury, mechanical and mental.


Genetic Deafness / Hereditary - when deafness occurred previously in other family members and depends on specific genes.


I'm deaf; I have very deep hearing loss in both ears, which was genetically caused. This strange thing because nobody in my family for several generations back had no hearing loss or was deaf. Doctors explained to me that I might have received the defective gene from my parents. I can "hear" sounds with hearing aids. I can normally communicate with people only through a long and exhausting speech and hearing rehabilitation. It took me almost 20 years before I learned to communicate so that hearing people think I'm just like them, but in reality I am not. This sometimes makes funny situations :)


Deaf can't hear sounds that is why they don't hear the speech, but they have their own language for communication, which is sign language, also called the language of butterflies, because it is very beautiful, full of dynamism and life as well as elusive.


Sign language has its own characters corresponding to the words. Sign language has its own individual grammar which is different from any other spoken languages and is the visual-spacious language. In Poland there are two sign languages: PJM - Polish Sign Language (PJM is from “Polski Język Migowy”) and SJM - System Sign Language (SJM is from “System Językowo-Migowy”).


What is the difference between the two languages? The first is the natural language of the deaf, it is a visual- spacious language, and the second is an artificial language which has most characters from PJM, but the grammar of the Polish language. I know that can be somewhat confusing.


Below I’ll show a couple of links to PJM signs:


PJM finger alphabet if someone wants you can learn it ;)


about grammar PJM i SJM with subtitles

---


a short PJM lesson


It might be interesting that in Poland in most provinces PJM is slightly different, and that is because the deaf continuously introduce new signs into their language. Later they distribute them at meetings, conferences, events and similar actions. Additionally, each country has its own sign language. You could say that there are as many sign languages as there are spoken ones. You'd probably be wondering how deaf people from different countries can communicate along? Fortunately, there is ISL, which allows you to communicate practically with all deaf in other countries, even China and Japan!


Now I will tell you briefly about savoir-vivre of the deaf, which can be in handy in the future if you get along with deaf:

-speak calmly, slowly and clearly, because some of the deaf can read the movements of the lips. --Stand in front of deaf people that show your lips. DO NOT cover the mouth, DO NOT turn away from a deaf person, DO NOT talk with pursed lips, DO NOT speak too fast because they might not understand you! Communication is MOST important!

-but if you don't understand it enough have a sheet of paper ready and a pen or write in a cell phone in the box at SMS.

-being in the room it is best to be in good light source, because they will see your lips or will be able to read in good light.

-or talk to you through an interpreter

If you knew this basis, the deaf will be very grateful to you for facilitating communication:)


Below there are a few humorous images of the website http://www.thatdeafguy.com/ related to the Deaf savoir-vivre :)


for the rest I am inviting you to look at the link above! I really recommend it!


And the Polish sites view this website http://www.szok-art.blogspot.com/ Leads it a deaf artist :)


Although the deaf can't hear, but many can achieve many things in different areas. At work, the arts, and even in music and dance. I'm not kidding! They are deaf dancers, singers and DJ's. In the Polish version “You can dance” a deaf boy: Damian Piasek was participating in the elimination. In German edition of You Can Dance the third place won a deaf dancer: Tobias Kramer. Here is a link to his performance at the YCD: http://www.clipfish.de/special/supertalent/video/3425342/der-gehoerlose-tobias-kramer-beim-supertalent-2010/

You may be wondering how they can "hear" music, you see they feel it by the vibration and rhythm! This is cool!

Deaf can also sing but in their sign language ;)



Just the way you are, song Bruno Mars, singing in BSL (British Sign Language) by deaf man

---

Colors of the Wind, Edyta Górniak song, singing by deaf girl, Necia

---

Signmark, The Letter

---

Poker face, Lady Gaga song, hearing sang in BSL (British Sign Language)

---

Party in the USA, song Miley Cyrus, singing in ASL (American Sign language)

---

Let's it will hear us”, deaf played on the drums


Below are some interesting links as well. Enjoy~!


Support Sign Language

---

Deaf Childhood

---

Is Your City... "Deaf-Friendly"?

---

action „Sign with us”



And finally...


What it's like to be Hearing in a Deaf world.


In the end I'd like to invite you in my sign language, I wonder if you could understand :)


I encourage you to ask questions and comments!

21 comments:

  1. Wohoo, it's really impressive presentation! So many informations, useful pics and what I liked tjhe most - videos with examples of your sign language.
    I think it is important to spread the knowledge about things that exist around us, but we normally can't see it, just like deafness, so I'm glad I could read a thing here.
    I cannot imagine I can't hear, I love sounds, music, the sound of my boyfriends voice, barking of my dearest dog... Once I did an experiment in our school. We was closed in special room, which was used as a recording studio so walls were covered with special material. When we closed door you couldn't hear anything. I had an empty feel, and after some time it was hard to breath somehow. Anyway it was strange experience.
    I'm glad that deaf people can find out and still connect with people, can work normally and live normally. After all they ARE normal!
    Personally I'd like to learn sign language, it looks pretty and has to make conversation easier (after you'll learn it ofc) in loud places, so this videos really comforts me.
    Once again, cool presentation, congrats =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a wonderful form of communication, I would like to learn sometime. This language should be more widespread and should be taught in schools or at least should be an option to learn. The more people use the sign language, the more deaf people could have easier life in society. Someday I have tried to learn a few phrases of sign language and I must say that I quickly learned the alphabet but if you want learn more you need to repeat often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine life without sounds. I had learnt sign language some time ago as my girlfriend had it on her medicine studies. But I haven't used it and forgot almost everything.
    So I have a question that arrised to my mind. If someone is deaf and wants to wake up at some given hour in the morning how this person does it? Hearing people just set their alarm clock and it wakes them up. How this, everyday thing is done?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't even imagine how is difficult to communicate without speaking and hearing. I saw the pictures with fingers. It is really difficult to move your hands in special way to say something. I admire people who are forced to use sign language. I can't use my hand in the way on the pictures even if i really want to do it. So people who can do it are really best and I give them respect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, congratulations on your stubbornness to rehabilitate, I cannot image how hard it must have been for you.

    To be honest with you, I have little knowledge about deafness, as well as what are the main causes of it. I didn't know there where two kinds of sign language in Poland, but I have always been interested about it.

    Personally, I take all the sounds that surround me for granted. It's hard for me to image a world without music. I think anybody who didn't interact with a deaf person feels the same way as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ kamyk: If deaf want wake up at given hour they can set alarm at clock with lamp (because they may feel strongly flashing light) or vibrator ;) there you've some links to clocks with alarm set for deaf, these can be used also for deep sleppers: http://www.harriscomm.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=42_123&products_id=18698 ; http://www.harriscomm.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1707 ; http://www.harriscomm.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=42_123&products_id=18976 ; http://www.livingiseasy.co.uk/help/HotTips/?id=378&num=8 .

    Some time ago I had some of these clocks, but they didn't work good for me, but.. you know, I'm deaf and deep sleepers too. My friends have really hard problems with waking up me ;) and they're scared when trying to wake up me, because I always wake with bad mood! Only after a quick cup of coffee and bath I'm back to normal.

    Back to the topic I've at my cell phone really strong vibrator and sets the alarm clock between 5 and 7 am when I must go somewhere at 8 am. It's really hard for me, because I love to sleep!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although I am not deaf, I also find it hard to wake up in the morning... I always set the alarm clock to ring nonstop for about an hour in the morning. But still it's always like there wasn't alarm clock at all!

    My wake-up is usually sudden and violent as one of the alarm's iterations takes effect... I seem to love to sleep :) I've been trying to find anything more gently to wake me up than just a traditional noisy alarm clock and I found one of the clocks you mentioned in your link above!
    http://www.livingiseasy.co.uk/help/HotTips/?id=378&num=8 .

    It turns out that apart from waking up with sounds and vibratons one can be woken up just by the light. The alarm clock from that link has the sunrise simulation. What means that when you set up such clock to wake you up at specific hour in the morning it starts to glow about an hour before the schdeduled awakening. It starts from slight glow, through moderate light just to end up shining like crazy.

    Useful thingy:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have you ever tried to successfully communicate with foreigners using ISL? I mean hear speaking with Chinese or Japenese :D That's the most exotic example that comes to my mind...

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Michał Kąkol: Yes, I had successfully communications using ISL with people from: France, Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, Hungary.. but I hadn't any communication with people from Japan or China, because I still don't have friends from these lands ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It must be like Esperanto then! ;P I just hope that it doesn't need much effort to use the ISL...

    Everyobdy has heard about Esperanto, right? It's an artificial constructed language... but it doesn't seem to be really successful.

    Did you know that there are about 60 constructed slavic languages? http://steen.free.fr/slovianski/constructed_slavic_languages.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's very good article. I am looking forward for next parts. Beside intresting movies I found many information about deaf people and way they communicate. I could not imagine life without those sounds around me. If everyone get learned this language the comunication between nations would be easier.

    I encourage to read Beethovens history who was deaf and made many masterpieces: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludwig_van_Beethoven

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for your reply. I see that the second example you gave is designed for deep sleepers even not for deaf people. It would be good to have one such big vibrating thing as I also have big problems to wake up at the morning like someone else wrote above. But it is good that there are ways to wake up in some other way than with loud alarm that deaf people can use

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is almost certain that deaf people have harder than us. First of all, there is a problem with communication, many people doesn't know ILS. What about work? Probably for deaf people it is much harder to get a job.
    The most amazing think is how they overcome they disability and try to live despite of being deaf. I admire them.
    I don't know how I will act in they place

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a very interesting topic! I've seen most of the song movies you've posted, I like them very much. You missed this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv3tadz5Q3o - too bad they removed the music (but that's how YT works)
    I have a question to you. Have you encountered any public workers with which you could communicate using PJM or SJM? I've heard that some of them are taking courses.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is great post! Before I read it I hadn't known much about world of deaf people and sign language. I was really surprised that there are two kind of sign language. PJM seems to be more difficult to learn than SJM.
    I think deaf people are amazing in showing emotions. I can observe this at the movies you presented (I really enjoy songs in sign language).
    You are extraordinary person :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am always impressed with how deaf people deal with everyday life. I personally know a few hearing impaired persons and one of them is actually a very good dancer. I think that thanks to new technologies their lives are getting easier and that maybe some day someone will invent something that will enable them to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's an interesting problem of how deaf people deal with communication. One of my friends learned sign language in order to improve their communication skills. He believes that this deal offers the prospect of better communication in everyday life, because it increases creativity. Personally, I do not know a deaf person so I have no experience with this problem personally.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is a very interesting and educational note. Sadly, there is no common language for deaf people from various countries. It only makes more barriers, and makes the lives of those people even more difficult. Interesting fact is that deaf people of Poland want to be treated like national minority and they have full right to do this. After all what is it that determines your nationality in biggest extent? It is the unique language and they certainly have their own and it is not polish.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really like this article. Paying attention to the sign language reminds me how colorful the world is. I am not able to imagine how my life would look like without the sounds. It would be interesting experience to cover my ears so that I cannot hear and spend all day trying to use sign language. I wonder how long it would take me to learn it and comunicate with others.

    ReplyDelete