Thursday 26 May 2011

Born to be wild – part II

Today I would like to tell you something about sport bikes.

Sport bikes were created to race, but it does not mean that we cannot ride them on the streets or buy them for our own use. Many people ride them every day to work or to school.
Sport bikes are very lightweight – about 200 kg – and can achieve high speed. Moreover they have good brakes. This type of motorcycles is produced by companies like: Bumota, Ducati, MV Agusta, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, Suzuki.
This kind of bikes is considered to be the fastest at this time.
For the amateurs there were created lower class vehicles – with 600 cm3 engine. They are also very fast, but really lightweight (about 150 – 200 kg).
Bikes with 1 liter engine are for riders with several years of experience.

Yamaha R1
Source: http://pl.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Plik:Yamaha_YZF_R1_2001.jpg&filetimestamp=20060318200401

MV Agusta F4 Senna
Source: http://pl.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Plik:MV_Agusta_F4_1000_Senna-2.jpg&filetimestamp=20061220092542


Sport bikes need to be fast and maneuverable so they have to have certain design. Most of them share similar features like: higher foot pegs that move the legs closer to the body and more of a reach to a lower set of hand controls, such as clip on handlebars, which positions the body and weight forward and over the tank. High tech and expensive materials are often used in sport bikes.

Safety

Riding a motorbike is much more dangerous than driving a car. We are not protected by body of the car.
The most important thing for the rider is a good helmet. The primary goal of it is safety - to protect the rider's head during the impact, thus preventing or reducing head injury or saving the rider's life.


A full-face helmet credited for saving its user.
Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Swisherhelmet1.jpg

Other very important parts of rider equipment are:
- Gloves
- Jacket
- Pants
- Boots
- Goggles or Helmet Visor
- Vests

You can read more about motorcycle safety at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_safety .

How do you like sport bikes?
Do you prefer chopper or sport bikes? Why?
What do you thing about motorcycle safety?

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_bike
http://moto4u.pl/Motocykle_sportowe.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_safety

12 comments:

  1. I might have no idea about sport bike because I have never ridden so I can't tell how do I like it. I just only think that sport bikes are some of the most incredible toys for big kids. I'm not familiar with none of that types of bike. I would prefer sport bike for ride every day to work or to school and chopper I would prefer for ride for a long trip. The most important equipment is helmet, should provide the most protection and riders should wear vests made with high-visibility colors and retroreflective materials to increase the chance of being seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like spor tbike. I like speed and dangerous. On sport motorbikes you can feel what does really mean feel adrenaline. Choppers are slower and do not give us the fun. Safety is the most important thing during our drive. Appropriate helmet, gloves, jacket can safe our life in case of accident.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the design point of view I like both choppers and speed bikes. They look really nice. I can not say which one I prefer as I haven'n ride any of them. As I wrote in my previous comment I think that bikers safety is very low. I do not say here that a lot of them ride fast but a lot of people driving car ride fast and if the accident happen their chances to survive are high - while person on a bike are low

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not an expert, I've even never ridden a motorbike :) but I have bad feelings about it. I'm always afraid when I imagin what can happen if I fall off from a speeding bike on the hard road... :| Sliding on the road with high speed, I don't like it at all ;) You need be a maniac to accept it and not to fear at all. But maybe it's a positive mania ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like sport bikes, because they've really nice line and design ;) (I'm after industrial design study, then I know a little bit in that theme). But I don't feel safe near a sport bikes. They're more dangerous from choopers.

    When you're riding bike you must have: helmet, special clothes for bike riding (gloves, jacket, pants, shoes and something spine protector).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I prefer sport bikes, more of my style than choppers.

    As for safety: in my opinion it's very important. While driving a car you have steel all around you + airbags, seat belts and curtains. Riding a bike is far more risky because you are depending on other drivers and hope that they won't kill you when not looking in rear mirrors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi again!!
    Thank you for your involvement :))
    I see that safety subjects are very important to you too. I am very glad of it :))

    @estudiante - I agree, that sport bikes are for every day ride and are more convenient in the cities than choppers :) They are easier to maneuvering :)

    @Artur Gwiazda - It depends what fun means :) For me riding chopper is more fun, but I agree that sport bikes give us speed and dangerous ;)

    @kamyk - Speaking about design. Don't you think that sport bikes are a little plastic? I have always that impression :/

    @Michał Kąkol - Maybe you should try to ride to defend your fear? ;)

    @grafikarolina - For me sport bikes are plastic a little ;) but they are much more modern than HD

    @Adam Młodziejowski - Safety first! :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I have to choose I will like chopper bikes more. They are classics with character. Sport bikes don't have anythink unique. They are just fast. All of them looks almost the same... And that noice... like somekind of mosquito.
    Futhermore, it is very dangerous to drive fast on polish roads :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like sport bikes very much! Precisely I like watching them at high speed. My favourite one is Hayabusa :D Do I prefer chopper or sport bikes? It's a tough question. Why? Because both of them are cool. One is for normal, relatively slow motion, enjoying the landscapes and looking like a badass ;D. On the other hand you can ride very fast, participate in street races and make impression on females. B-)

    When it comes to motorcycle safety even best equipment won't help stupidity. The reason why accidents on motorcycles are usually more severe than those concerning cars is that they tend to be driven much faster. The motorcycles achive huge speeds and that is very dangerous. On the other hand car drivers often don't look to the mirros and don't notice approaching motorcyclists.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do like sport bikes, even though I definitely prefer chopper motorcycles. Sport bikes are good to race on, but again, I don't think that Polish roads are safe to ride sport bikes.

    Another thing is that they are often ridden by people who have almost no experience, who have just got their driver's license and are not careful enough while on the road. I remember first words that my driving instructor told me and the rest of the group at the beginning of my motorcycle driving course: "hello, future kidney donors" and I think that any future bike driver should be aware of how easily one can get killed on a motorcycle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Safety in a motor bikes – for me? NONE. Below you can find a link to video from bike crash test. This shows what`s happening with 49km/h speed.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zvP0JCZB48

    All of these safeguards- Glove, Jacket, Pants, Boots, Goggles probably can save us from bruises and scratches but sometimes it doesn’t help. However, car producers putting safety for first place. I will give just a few example: seat belts !!! , bumpers, airbags and ABS, ACC, ASR, BAS, ESP, and many others.

    Answering your questions I preferred sports cars than sport bikes :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a sport motorbike rider I can add something to this topic. In my opinion as Falek said there is no possibility to be safe agains stupidity. Everything is for people but consideration is a main aspect to be safe on motorbike.

    On the other hand I can not agree with "mk" sentence that polish roads are not safe. There is no difference if u are riding on country roads in Poland or highways in USA. There is no possibility to avoid sand on a turn or someone forcing prevail. When you ride a motorbike you have to have eyes around your head and enough oil otherways neither uniform nor god will help you.

    ReplyDelete