Thursday 19 May 2011

Part II- Kazimierz Dolny

A promised, today we are moving to a beauty spot east of Warsaw. To Kazimierz Dolny.

This is a magic place which is almost always bustling with life. If we want to avoid a crowd, it is worth knowing that there are definitely fewer tourists in winter.



When we enter this picturesque town, we are greeted from afar by the Vistula River and the people strolling along the River Boulevard. It is a good idea to leave one’s car at the guarded car-park, or near one’s hotel for the whole day and get around on foot, or by bicycle.

Movie about Kazimierz Dolny:





People travelling on a limited budget can stay at one of the guest-houses, or at a hotel. Personally I would recommend Willa pod Basztą (The House at the Donjon) where we will find comfortably furnished rooms with air-conditioning and will be able to have breakfast on the terrace. For those who value luxury, I recommend the Kazimierz Wielki Hotel (the Casimir the Great Hotel) or the Bohema (Bohemianism) House with a SPA centre.


http://www.krolkazimierz.pl/ http://www.villabohema.pl/


I recommend long walks along the charming streets stopping by to get something at the shop with lavender for extra variety. It is worth taking souvenir photos at the well in the market place, or watching the work of the painters who exhibit numerous pictures there




Climbing the Three-Crosses Mountain is a must-do in Kazimierz. It is a good idea to put on comfortable shoes and bring a blanket to sit on the grass and admire the beautiful panorama.


http://basiowy.blox.pl/resource/2006_11_Kazimierz_Dolny_025.JPG


After the tiring walks, it is worth visiting the ,,Zielona Tawerna” Restaurant, which has tasty and exquisite dishes on offer. These are ideal both for a supper for two and for dining with friends.The place I would recommend for an after-lunch siesta is ,,Herbaciarnia u Dziwisza” (Dziwisz’s Tea-Room), where we can enjoy a wide variety of different kinds of tea from all over the world. There is an additional offer of home- baked cakes. The interior takes the breath away – it is atmospheric and furnished with a taste we will not find elsewhere



(especially for tea lovers-Herbaciarnia u Dziwisza inside)



Kazimierz is a good place for cycling trips. Internet websites offer many alternative bike routes. If someone would like to try all kinds of attractions, it is always possible to take a two-hour cruise on the Vistula in a pirate boat.



http://www.andrzejowka.pl/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/galeon.jpg



When our stay in Kazimierz is over, it is worth considering going back to Warsaw via Nałęczów, which is nearby. One can take a walk in the beautiful park of this health-resort.


http://www.zgapa.pl/zgapedia/Na%C5%82%C4%99cz%C3%B3w.html



On the way from Nałęczów to Lublin, at a village called Bogucin, we will find one of the two inn-restaurants, called Bida, which are famous all over Poland. This is a fantastic place for lunch – the varied menu, pleasant folk music and extraordinarily large portions are a challenge even for those with a considerable apetite.
Afterwards, we can simply go back to the capital city with exceptional memories, which can easily be freshened up a few times a year.



Dear All,
What are your associations with Kazimierz Dolny?


Could we compare Kazimierz Dolny to any other city in Poland?


As I see your comments below show that you prefere spend weekend at places more popular among young people. So my question is what is missing in Kazimierz?



11 comments:

  1. Association? :) Good memories of happy childhood :) I used to live close to Pulawy So Kazimierz was just a stone's throw from home just to spend an afternoon on Sunday.

    I cannot say anything special about the restaurant or hotels... So, please, just don't expect me to make any recommendations :) Except one... just go there! It's a one of those must-see places.

    It's sometimes a bit to crowded on Weekends or on bank holidays, but it's still worth seeing. Great place for a lovely walk. You won't regret!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately I don't have any associations with Kazimierz Dolny. I was there once and I barely remember anything. I remember only a dinner in the restaurant with that part of my family which I don't like, so it wasn't worth to remember.
    I like the idea with ship but pirates? The best ones are in Gdynia on Dragon Ship ;) But I believe they are good too.
    You made me curious about this tea house, I'm tea lover so I'll surely visit this place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remeber that tea at Kazimierz. I was there when I was child so i don't remeber much. As far as I remeber, there always was crowds of people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also was in Kazimierz long time ago and can't remember anything from that trip. I wonder how many times have you been in those places that you describe? Do you remember so good all those names of restaurants etc.? Because I usually don't put much attention on the name of restaurant in which I am eating during my holidays. So you have that good memory or do you use some support?;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been there quite a few times. One time I even rented a room close to the main square and stayed for 4 or 5 days (actually I was planning to stay for the weekend but I had some problems with catching a bus to Warsaw). Visiting a bakery and getting yourself a chicken-shaped bread is a must in Kazimierz.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was in Kazimierz few times. I like this place. It has specific climat. I like the most one ot the Kazimierz's restaurant where you can eat the best apple pie. Unfortunately I don't remember it name. But for me it is boring city. There is no attractions. There is no interesting place for a walk, only old hoses and the ruins of some castle. I think that there is need to organize more place for tourist to spend time effectively. Big plus of this place is it localization. It is quite close of Warsaw and you don't need much time to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last Wednesday I was in Kazimierz Dolny on a way back home from conference. For me it looks like a great place to spend a weekend, but it's too small for a longer stay. Everything what is there to see may be seen in one-two days I think.

    Kazimierz reminds me of a typical Polish town from a few hundred years back, especially when we look at its layout with a big church and even bigger market, where most of everyday life seems to take place. It is a bit similar to Marketplace in Cracow, but the latter of course is a lot bigger, though also full of tourists.

    What is missing in Kazimierz? I really quite liked it, but it was a bit small. Maybe I didn't see everything worth seeing? Anyway there is still not many activities besides sightseeing and wandering around the marketplace. For that reason, I wouldn't stay in Kazimierz for too long.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Once I was in the Kazimierz Dolny only just for one day. It is a considerable tourist attraction as one of the most beautifully situated little towns in Poland. If I stayed for longer I could tell what is missing in Kaziemirz. I agree with you that it's a beautiful panorama on Three-Crosses Mountain and you have to climb to admire this view. I haven't been in Dziwisz’s Tea-Room, because you recommend that place, next time I will stop there for a cup of tea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was at Kazimierz Dolny several times and I remembered: crowd of people (it was so tiring, because I don't like crowd of tourist!), nice viev at Wisla, cock made with cake (cock is a Kazimierz's symbol I think..) My first time was many years ago when I was with family, aunt and uncle. Now I was there because my friend is studying at College of Fine Arts. When it's a sunny and warm day its a good moment for walk around Kazimierz and near Wisla. Vievs are soo nice!

    Also there is a pizzeria where I ate a very good pizza! But it was a little bit expensive. I don't remember others shops or cafeteria.

    There is a small curiosity about Romany woman who walk around market and she read from hand about yours future for small money or cigarette ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kazimierz is my second favourite place for vacation (first is Mazuria). I have been in Kazimierz several times, and I always enjoyed it. I have been on Three-Crosses Mountain, there is a beautiful view from there. Viking boat is also obligatory attraction in Kazimierz ;)
    From my experience I can also recommend Festiwal Filmu i Sztuki DWA BRZEGI (you can read more here: http://www.kazimierzdolny.pl/news/dwa_brzegi:_co_w_programie/11037.html).
    This year I also plan to visit this beautiful town and stay in Bohema, but I also want to propose you to stay in Wiatrakowo. It is an artistic complex to stay in Cholewianka nearby Kazimierz (30 min walk to the centre of Kazimierz). You can find there rustic and mystic atmosphere. Last time I was staying in room with flying angels and lyrics painted on the walls. I hope you will enjoy it too :))
    What is missing in Kazimierz? For me - absolutely nothing :))

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually was in Kazimierz Dolny few weeks ago with my girlfriend. We were lucky because there weren't many tourist in the town that day (midday weekday). We walked around, and ate a good grilled fish at the riverside. We didn't have an opportunity to spend the night, but we are thinking about going there again soon.

    Funny that you mentioned comparing Kazimierz to another town, because we were wondering about the same thing. I don't know whether there are any places like this in Poland, but if yes I would like to visit them as well.

    As for what is missing in Kazimierz - we couldn't find a nice play to eat breakfast near the Town Square. But maybe it's just me being jinxy.

    One thing I find tempting are those nice beaches on the other side of the Vistula river. I'd love to pay them a visit sometime.

    ReplyDelete