Monday 23 May 2011

What if the end was nigh? - Part 1 of 3

Nobody really knows what the meaning of life is. Is it to set and achieve our goals? Or is it rather better to keep on chasing after them? This matter is still not clear. We can only guess we make good decisions or deceive ourselves that someone will show us the only way to the good life.

There's plenty of silly instructions, how-tos and guides to your life. Here's an example of one of those so called how-to to live a good life – How to Have a Good Life. The Monty Python has brought up the issue of the sesne of it all in their movie “The Meaning of Life”. Thus showing quite amusingly how the life is complicated...



But no matter how hard you try to have a wonderful life it still will be full of its humdrum, the daily routine, all the simple ordinary stuff and chores. I know that we all are different and unique, but it only makes the whole image even more blurred:) Everyone's life is specific and has its flavour...

The average lifespan in Poland is (let's say approximately...) about 70 years, what makes up to 25552 days – quite a long time though... Over the period of our life we are born, brought up, taught, we study ourselves, start up our own families, we can also change our jobs ;) The life is brimful of what we do and the effects of our activity. I must not forget to mention that we also accumulate money or any other type of property.

Okay, but the nature knows no mercy and all good things sadly come to an end. We all can have beautiful lives but we still eventually look ahead till the day we die. So after a bit too long introduction I can come out with my simple question... if you have ever thought about the end of your time. What would happen with all your belongings? What would you like to say to your beloved ones? Of course on condition that you would ever like to leave any kind of good-bye-letter.

I am talking about the so called last will or testament. And what's interesting those two terms were historically distinguished by their meaning. Basically both stand for a legal declaration by which a person, the testator, names one or more persons to manage his estate and provides for the transfer of his property at death (wikipedia). But while the will concerns real property, the testament is just a disposition of the personal property only.

You would probably say that we still have got plenty of time and that we're still only at the very beginning of our journey. But what about sudden accidents? Terminal illnesses? Volcano eruptions? Or any other type of misfortune that can happen:) You could also reply that it needs time to gather just enough of belongings/properties to make any dispositions in case of death. Surely not every young graduate has his own set of stock certificates, bonds or any other contracts or agreements... But is it fully true?

Maybe we should think about those things in advance and take care of what we possess or create, so it's not lost but handed to the right person in case we pass away. Or are we just too young to think about such things and just enjoy the life carelessly?

13 comments:

  1. Well it ain't so easy to think about it, but since my grandpa died in one second, so suddenly I stopped for a while and thought about life in general. I was talking with him few hours before he died, he was healthy and felt okay. Anyway from that time I'm trying to say my fiance and family what I feel and to keep in touch with good relationship. I'm trying to enjoy life (although my mother-in-law is quite good opponent) without living carelessly. I try to create my future with some plans but I keep in my mind the truth that plans can be destroyed easly.
    I think we should live and be happy as often as we can because we don't know the time and place... Live fully but wisely, say people you love them, make friends, ignore enemies and live that way you won't regret.
    As for one question, I wouldn't write any good-bye-letter. It's also not good to think so serious about death being so young, it can destrou our mood if we overdo. We should be prepared anytime for this I guess, but what does it mean? To have all you buissness closed or have familiars close? I'm not sure yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking about such things is not just a matter of improving or ruining your mood... Death is a consequence of life, simple :) And I can fully agree with you that the best method is to "live fully but wisely". Accepting all the aspects of life is a way for good balance and wise life, that's what I think.

    You asked a very good question - how to prepare for the end? What does it really mean :) I somehow believe this subject is closer to ourselves than we can even think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we should be prepared for death in each moment of our life. It comes really unexpectedly and we never know when will be our last day. So we should have written last will and know exactly what we want leave behind for our families. Of course now when we have 20 and a little bit more years we don't think about death. We have so many problem for each day that we don't have time to think about (in our believe) old age. We are sure that this problem do not concern us. And we are wrong. We can die in the least expect time. In car accident, on the pavement, in school, everywhere. We shouldn't live a moment, we should think ahead. We should be prepared for everything, even that next morning we can not get up from our beds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't need really to write our last will. Legally all our possesion will go to our wife/husband, childs, or nearest family.
    Problem starts when you want disinherit someone or give your belongings to someone not related. In this case you need to write yours testament.

    I think that most of us don't need to care about it for now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eh... thinking in Polish scheme spoils the whole fun...

    Polish inheritance law is somehow specific, true. But remember that we live in very interesting time and the law does not always keep up with every new aspects of technology, for example:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do not think about death. I am to young for such things. Ofcourse some sudden accident can happen but I do not think about it also. Even if such thing would happen (I hope not) I do not need testament as I do not possess any valuable things like home etc If I would worry about all things that may happen to me probably that could be the cause of my death ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had frequent contact with death, because now I don't have any grandpa's or granny's and some my friedns died a tragic death or a serious illness. Then I'm prepare for my death, I know it'll be or in near or distant future. Maybe i'll die through illnes, accient or on old time. I don't know. Now I've only my parents and distant family, which I know poorly.. My motto is "carpe diem", "what will it be" and "smile everyday, don't care what will be tomorrow". I know I'm young and have so much life, but somewhere in my mind is a small voice talking about how life is precious and short.

    Maybe in near future I'll write my last will, but I think I'll have a hard decision, because I haven't any siblings or close cousin.

    But now I don't care about that thing and I use the most of life as I can!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I quite enjoyed seeing the Monty Python's movie "The Meaning of Life." At first it seemed like a typical comedy, but in fact it allows viewer to think about their own life, achievements and to dos.

    I also remember the movie "Bucket List" about a terminally ill man, who had wrote the list of things to do before "kicking the bucket." He started to fulfill all his dreams from childhood to the old age, actually enjoying each last day of his life. It also made me think about my dreams from childhood and adolescence.

    It is interesting, that many terminally ill persons live their lives to the maximum after accepting their illness. Why don't we live that way our entire lives?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think 'meaning of life' is something individual for every person. Giving advices for other people about their life has no sense to me. What is important for one person, can be totally meaningless for the other. My recipe for good life? I always try to live the day in a way that I can go asleep happy :) Should we think about our death? Yes, but not too much. It is something that we don't have any influence. Some day our life will just end.
    I haven't thought about testament yet. Maybe because I don't have much property ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The last thing I would think about when dying in mid 20's is were should my belongings go. I may have bad luck but I find dying in a volcano eruption fairly improbable;)

    As for the last will - from my personal experience it only makes sense when your family situation needs you to do that, e.g. children with different wives, current marriage w/o children etc... Or being totally alone. I wouldn't dare giving my belongings to the state treasury!

    Let's enjoy life (quite) carelessly - these are the last months we're able to have fun without real responsibilities (husband/wives, children). Then we will probably work just to give our children the possibilities we didn't have and to let them live carelessly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really I have never thinking abut the end of my live. You can ask me abut that when I will have 70 years old or when I'll buy motorbike or get sick. Now I'm to young to worried about my stuff. We shouldn't think about our death too much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In my opinion the purpose of human existance should be to be happy and make other people happy as well. I'm trying to live my life in a way to be able to say 'I did what I wanted and I don't regret anything' at the very end. Will I be successful? I can't say at the moment as I don't feel fulfilled and am not prepared for death in any way. I've never really thought about writing a will or preparing the testament. Mostly because I don't have much to leave yet. Also I still live convinced that I'm young and have whole life ahead of me, so I don't need to worry about stuff like that. I find it quite funny when I hear about people buying coffins and places in the cementaries while they're still relatively young.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Unfortunately, this is sad truth. What is the meaning of life when at any moment we can die? We will plan our lives (education, work, family) and do not take into account that at any moment we can die for example when we go to work. I think a good sentence become from “Braveheart” movie:

    ,, We will all die some day, but have we all really live "

    Writing testament in my opinion it`s a individual problem. In my case it does not make sense because I have no assets. There is a situation that older people no longer have anyone in the family and then rewrite their property for the benefit for children. I consider this a very good gesture better than to cast the state treasury.

    ReplyDelete