Saturday 28 May 2011

Born to be wild – part III

Today I would like to introduce you my favorite motorcycle sport – motocross.


Motocross is a sport in which riders race on a specially designed motorcycles with capacities from 50 cm3 to 450 cm3. Races are usually on tracks built from sand, clay or mud with natural obstacles. The motocross competition involves about 40 riders who compete in one or more of gear.
The first motocross races took place in Camberley in Great Britain. In the 30s of the twentieth century this sport became popular outside UK. The individual world championships in motocross have been held since 1957, firstly in 500 cm3 class, since 1962 in 250 cm3 class, and finally (since 1975) also in 125 cm3 class.

Motocross competitor
Source: http://moto-center.tk/photogallery.php?photo_id=22

The main types of motocross:

Freestyle MotoCross – competition in which players are performing evolutions and are being evaluated by judges. We can distinguish two kinds of them: Big Air - each player has three chances to jump and properly Freestyle MotoCross - riders perform two combinations of jumps and tricks lasting from 90 seconds to 14 minutes.

Supercross – extreme motocross competition. Competitions are usually held in the halls with a special circular, artificial track full of jumps, which helps riders to perform the tricks.

Supermoto - in this variant of competitions contestants race on motorcycles enduro on the asphalt pavement.

ATV / Quad Motocross – there are three-, four- or even six wheels vehicles racing on very difficult areas, where the rivalry of two-wheeled machines would be impossible.

Professional ATV racer Tim Farr at the 2006 Glen Helen MX national.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Farr.jpg

Sidecarcross – is very similar to the classic motocross, but motorbike is runed by two players - the driver and passenger.

Pit bikes and mini-motocross – very small motorbikes are used to this competition. Before 2004 children's motorbikes were used in this category.

Mini-motocross event in West Virginia.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pitbike_riders.jpg

Major motocross competitions are:
- FIM Motocross World Championship
- AMA Motocross Championship
- Motocross des Nations
- British Motocross Championship

What do you think about motocross?
What type of motocross do you like the most?
Would you like to try sport like this?

Source:
http://arenasportu.pl/o-dyscyplinie/motocross/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motocross


12 comments:

  1. Motocross is a very "dirty" type of sport. I can imagine that riders have mud almost everywhere :)
    I really like the idea of quads. Although I never drove one I'd like to have a go some time in the future. Too bad I know no place near me that offers rides on quads.

    I have a question: Is it legal to ride a quad or motorbike in a forrest like Kampinos? How about driving them on public roads, do I need plates and a special license?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Motocross is an exciting sport to watch and an extremely popular. I think I like the most Freestyle MotoCross. The way the riders all race around jostling for position, throwing their motorbikes around, doing the jumps etc. Of course I would like to try but I would had a problem to control two hundred pound bike while maintaining top speed going through mud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the quad motocross. I haven't known about it before but it looks great. I would like to try it but I know that there will not be such possibility. I have driven quad on a desert in Africa and it was really nice fun but sand was getting everywhere so I can imagine how do they look like - despite that they wear special uniforms etc., I was also wearing special clothes, helmet and goggles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never deepening in the motocross, but certainly this is a very cool field of sports.
    It gives incredible amount of adrenaline and fun. I even had a chance to ride a motocross KTM 250 cm3 and admit that it is hard to keep this machine in the forest, when you riding at roots, or on sandy roads.
    I admit that I didn't know that quads are included in that group. Personally I love off-roading on the quad, and certainly i feel better for four-wheeled vehicle than two:) Besides you can always take some luggage and just take a few days trip.

    Riding on bikes of this type makes it possible to experience unforgettable adventures and experiences such as drawing machines from the swamps, or mudy rivers.

    And certainly if I hadn't tried to ride on these bikes, I would try at least for sure:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy watching motorcross at tv/web. I like the most "Freestyle MotoCross". The stunts are sometimes breathtaking.
    I never ride a motorcross, but I'am sure i will like it. Just go some off-road and enjoy riding on rough terrain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think motocross is a very dangerous sport. I know one person that rides professionally in motocross, and has a lot of fractures of the arms and legs .. I think it is not funny and safety sport ...

    > Would you like to try sports like this?
    I would not try it on yourself (bruises:)), but watching on TV why not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that it is great fun. I like off road driving. It gives you also much adrenaline like sport motorbikes. Maybe it is even more fun than very fast bikes. You can drive in the forest, fields, wherever you want. It is much slower bike but it means that much more safety. I don't know types of motocross so I can't say anything about it. I like big machines, powerfull, strong. I have never tried motocross but I would like to try. I am sure that it gives a lot of fun. This is certainly a great way to spend your free time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello again!
    I am very happy that you like motocross too :))

    @Adam Młodziejowski - I agree with you. Thus is very dirty sport ;)
    To be honest I don't know much about riding a quad in Kampinos forest. I have never been riding quad in Poland (only on a farm in Germany and on a dessert in Africa), I always consider them more like a farm vehicle than a real motorbike ;) From a practical point of view I will abandon the idea of riding a quad in a forrest despite of the animals. About the license - I have read there are plans to enter a quad driving license in the future (you can read more here: http://prawo.gazetaprawna.pl/artykuly/420000,kierowanie_pojazdami_potrzebne_uprawnienia_na_quada.html)

    @estudiante - You are brave. I will be scared if I have to try it ;)

    @kamyk - I also have ridden quad in Africa :) After that sand was everywhere ;) It was really funny experience :)

    @s5683 - Brave person too :)) I prefer watch motocross then even try to ride these machines :)) Now I feel like a coward ;) Greetings :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Motocross - hell yaeh! :D
    It's one of my favourite sports! Especially freestyle motocorss. I'll never stop being amazed for what they're doing! It's one of most spectacular sports ever. I was writing about this, but let me remind you:
    Travis Pastrana - check this guy out!
    He's incredible!
    Here's link to youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ak20K6wE_ng

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely like motocross. Especially watching it. I think my favorite is Supercross. I'm planning on going to Red Bull X-Fighters this year (I hope it won't be cancelled due do National Arena'building delay). Personally I don't know when I will get my self to try it, I think I will start with quads first as they are more stable to ride.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I watched on TV Freestyle Motocross competitions - I liked how the players perform the various stunts in the air. I think that this sport gives you a lot of fun.

    I had the pleasure to ride quads in the desert in Egypt. It was an interesting experience for me to discover . I would also try to ride in the future, the various wild forests, fields and feel that adrenaline.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, maybe I don't like motorbikes :) but the connection of the dirt, speed and jumps makes me feel like trying motocross :)

    That's definitely a highly diry motorsport. I've never had an occasion to watch any of those competitions, but it all seems that the guys taking part in them are pretty tough. It would probably be a nice sport to watch as well as to do it yourself.

    ReplyDelete