Saturday 15 January 2011

Contemporary art - is it an art or not III


http://d.wiadomosci24.pl/g2/6f/cc/1e/64813_1208813710_a903_p.jpeg

Nowadays people more frequently go to the cinema than to the theatre, museum or exhibition. It is absolutely clear and understandable not only because of the fact that cinema is cheaper but also due to its informal style and casual atmosphere. Does it mean that films aren’t an art?



"Cinema Paradiso" Giuseppe Tornatore

People are accustomed to Hollywood’s films which are full of pathos , sentimentality and poor emotions. They are made on some kind of scheme which is repeated over and over again. If you look deeply you will see that nearly all of hits are similar. Directors prey on some poor human emotions but as a rule do not let to mix them. I mean, it is really rare in Hollywood’s films to create a character who isn’t just black or white but more complicated. It is not common that we like and feel the personage who is absolutely unethical, cruel… let say bad. Everything have to be clear and told. It is practically impossible to leave the audience insatiable, full of conflicting emotions, without the answer. Of course we can’t say that all of Hollywood’s films are the same but for sure it is really tough for American’s directors to produce a film which is not a inevitable financial success.




"Respiro" Emanuele Crialese

If we are more demanding and we take care of cultural standard and worth of films we are watching we should sort the movies and cinemas and choose something absolutely different. Of course it needs more effort but I’m sure that it’s worth of time. Some cinemas offer us selected films and even if we don’t like some of them we can be sure that they are valuable. Almost every film which I’ve seen in Wisła on Wilson's Square was absolutely brilliant. Of course it is my subjective opinion but they really give me something. I can say that they changed my way of thinking and it is the biggest value of them.




"El secreto de sus ojos" Juan Jose Campanella

All of the films which I showed you made an impression on me.



"Kirschbluten- Hanami" Doris Dorrie

I’m sure that good film as well as painting can be a work of art. There is only one requirement: it have to leave some sign on our live and way of thinking. It is real masterpiece if it’s able to stop us for a moment and cause that we were not well-rested but changed.


Do you know any film which has changed something in your way of thinking?
Do you like small cinemas like Wisła or Muranów?

7 comments:

  1. Movie is just like any other medium. It may be art, it may be not. There are people that hate graffiti, comics, movies, breakdance or probably anything else. There are things that are just bad examples of any type of art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually there are some movies made in Hollywood that have an "artistic" dimension. First that I can recall is the "Single man" which caused me to think it over few times and probably made me change my view for some things but is it really enough to call it an art?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is a movie that changed something in my way of thinking. Its title is Twelve Angry Men. Film shows human behavior. It is very good film. I will not write anything more, because maybe some of you will want to watch it. You really should watch it. I like small cinemas, but I never was in Wisła or Muranów. I have my favourite one, but it is not in Warsaw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a person who prefers big cinemas, Hollywood movies and famous actors. It doesn't mean that I don't like art. For me it is art how Tom Hank stars as Forrest Gump or Will Smith as Ben Thomas in the movie "Seven Pounds".

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I wrote in your last post - one things are repressed by another. Now cinema is more popular then theatre and all the time we have new technologies in cinema. This is cool for young people who are fashion precursor. What they likes - it is trendy. This not mean movies aren't art or art died.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Recently I was in the cinema on the film "Baptism"is a Polish film. This film was not advertised on TV or newspapers, rather low production costs. The film showing two men friendship since childhood. Well it is shown how a man is selfish and that can kill the person closest to him that he was better. I recommend this movie to any value.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw a movie called 'Lucky People Center'. It is about the ideologies and religions present in the societies nowadays. It also depicts their influence on people's behavior and way of thinking. It is surely one of the movies that forces you to think. It shows that people representing different cultures and societies perceive the same things from a different perspective, so they understand them differently and their needs vary. As for me, the movie presents world's and people's variety fully and in a beautiful way.

    ReplyDelete