Monday 17 January 2011

Mixed Martial Arts

I would like to write about my main hobby, which is Mixed Martial Arts, in some opinions the fastest growing sport in the world. MMA is a discipline in which competitors fight under rules that permit a large scale of techniques from many various martial sports and arts. Fights have as low restrictions as its possible, but at the same time maintain rules minimizing the risk of death and serious and permanent injury.

History

First protoplast of MMA is Pankration, one of sports of ancient Olympic Games, often mistakenly named as wrestling. It had more to do with today’s MMA than wrestling because a wide range of strikes was allowed in this ancient sport.
Modern mixed martial arts have its origins at the beginnings of XX century, in 1920s Brazilian vale tudo tournaments took place , and in the 70s Japanese competition called Kakutougi. The initial period of development of sport occurred in the first half of the 90s, when the U.S. held their first official tournament under the name UFC 1 in 1993, and Japan established organizations Shooto and Pancrase.
Today many MMA competitions are held throughout the world. The best-known organizations with a global reach includes a UFC, Strikeforce, DREAM, Sengoku and bought in 2007 and soon killed by UFC, the legendary PRIDE FC.



Rules



In a typical mixed martial arts fights there are allowed kicks, punches, throws, locks and chokes. All techniques that can pose significant danger to the health of athletes are prohibited. The rules of most organizations usually prohibit: biting, hooking (putting fingers in the physiological holes, such as the mouth or nose), attacking the genitals, eyes, throat, head banging, hitting the spine, the use of leverage on small ponds like fingers. Often, the organizers put additional restrictions, prohibiting such moves like elbows, levers on the spine, heel hooks (techniques that could damage a knee), kicking down the opponent in the head or, in general, kicking on the ground.



Fights can be solved by KO (including technical), submission or the umpire’s decision.
Fights take place in a boxing ring or cage, which is better because of preventing fighters from accidentally leaving the fight place.
Fighters must have mouth guards and gloves, usually 4-7 oz, without fingers, to enable grapple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA30hTyi1EY

The best of MMA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44E-lW3aYhM

One of my favorite fighters from Japan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGYMu2PqYhs

True legend from Brazil

Training

In past years MMA was confronting styles, every fighter trained his own sport, nowadays fighters train just MMA - cross training, choosing best working techniques from many sports.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIW_ggk_hdI

Training

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9eznPL4_ns

Silva's training

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezHlByHZwXA

Grappling circuit

Summary

Some may say that MMA is just pure violence, bloody sport for brainless, others think that's the hardest and the most demanding sport. What do you think about it? Do you think that's brutal? And what do you think when celebs, like Mariusz Pudzianowski, fight? Could you watch MMA or its not for you?

11 comments:

  1. To be honest you can't deny the skill of professional fighters, but I prefer traditional box, especially the light weight.

    “Could you watch MMA or its not for you? “ You are asking that question a bunch of informatics and girls? :)

    I completely disagree with that it's the most demanding sport. Try Modern pentathlon (I bet you have never heard about it), and you will know something about it. For sure it is one of the most brutal, and it's hard but not the hardest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like MMA too. Sometimes it is really brutal sport. But not allways. I've seen many fights where there was no blood. Besides, the people who decide to watch MMA should be prepared that it can be a brutal fight. I think kids should not watch MMA because they can not understand that this is just a sport. In my opinion people such as Mariusz Pudzianowski never achieve much in this sport. He is very strong, but he has no technique. I mean he is very slow and does not know how to strike as the other fighters. In my opinion he should continue to practice with Strongmen - he is the world champion. I think he never reach this in MMA. Finishing, I think the best current player in this time is Fedor Emelianenko, but I like the most is Mirko Crocop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to train karate, judo, muay thai and krav maga. I have some "basics" to MMA but I'm still considering if to change the disciple. MMA the closet martial art to street fight. But as a show in TV MMA is so boring... there is almost no action, fighters almost all the time are hugging each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I mentioned a couple of times on this blog I'm not interested in sports. After all, I like to watch a game during the football World Cup, but MMA is for me just boredom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a girl I'm not very interested in this type of sports.
    I don't have problems with watching bloody movies, but I feel bad about real blood and suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't like strength sports like MMA. It doesn't interest me.

    I think Mariusz Pudzianowski still looking for his new job. He showed in Taniec z gwiazdami and MMA :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prefer traditional box - I find it more "elegant":) A lot of MMA fights are just boring (at least that part I have seen), other are very brutal which doesn't look attractive to me. That set of knock-downs which you attached shows fights that can encourage some people to start watching MMA fights but these clips are the best ones - in normal fight there is more running and lurking than fighting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. MMA does not interest me at all, I don't like watching people who fight, it is violent, I don't like seeing blood or swollen eyes. However, I respect that someone may be interested in this sport discipline. MMA has recently become popular in Poland as we have some talented fighters. It is good as Poland is usually not famous for having talented sportsmen who achieve a lot. So, it is really important to Poles that there is Adam Małysz, Robert Kubica or Mariusz Pudzianowski :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not interested in MMA, but I like watch some fights if someone send me a link with a great one. I'm impressed how those guys are fighting. About Pudzian - if he have done everything in one sport discipline, that's good if he is trying something new and he is trying to be the best in it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I practiced kick-boxing and combat sports that I give a lot of good culture and teach us to respect. I really like watching MMA there are great players who gave this life. Every fight is a brutal sport but spectacular. My favorite fighter is Mirco Crocop and Fedor Emalienco.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think many sports are violent. Personally, I like MMA, although I've never seen live fights . I know that for Martin Pudzianowski it was very difficoult and it cost him much time to prepare for this type of fighting. It requires an enormous dynamism, which he missed because he was limited by muscle mass. I know that I prefer MMA more than a box. I just wonder how many fans this sport brings together .

    ReplyDelete