Tuesday 11 January 2011

Contemporary art - is it an art or not


http://www.spieprzajdziadu.com/muzeum/index.php?title=Plik:Andy_warchol.jpg


Hello today I would like to talk about contemporary art and discus with you if it is really an art or just a kitsch. Stanislaw Witkacy was convinced that the real art has died. I would like to notice that he has lived before II World War. It is really important fact because in XIX century World wasn't so commercial and rapid like today. In spite of that he was very sceptical and critical, he considered that contemporary people have lost their internal sensitivity and some kind of metaphysical gift for feeling the art. He thought that currently people are not able to create and admire for an example - the painting because they are focused on understanding too much while they just have to feel it. The other problem is that nowadays everything, even art, has to be politically correct and cannot touch any inconvenient topic. For Witkacy is was a huge problem. Art has to be free. It should show everything clearly and honestly. It should be even brutal in it's sincerity. Nothing can be hidden. And what is the most important the art is not for people but just for art. It means that it shouldn't be nice like Academic art but absolutely frank.

http://www.theartwolf.com/self-portraits/bacon-self-portrait.htm

Francis Bacon is an artist for our time. He is loved by some people and at the same time hated by the others. He died 1992 but after all this years his painting is still controversial and polarising. In his work Bacon was innovative and original. His art lies somewhere between abstraction, representation and photography. It is said that if his painting had a voice, it would shriek. This sentence accurately characterises his work. His contorted figures, screaming faces, flanks of beef or gore scenes are showing so many emotions that we just feel the artist, his pain and voice. Even If I'm not convinced that his workshop was great as an artist and his paintings are too gloomy to me, I admire his courage, stubbornness and frankness.

http://www.indeks73.pl/pl_,web_journal,_,50,_,142.php


We have also anther example of contemporary artist who is known for controversial works. Dorota Nieznalska is a Polish artist identified with the mainstream of critical art . She creates primarily sculpture , installations. She is also working with video art and photography . One of her most famous works is an installation with man's genitals on the cross or naked women lying on symbols of four religions. This kind of art for me is just shocking. I think that if someone want to be an artist and don't have anything to show he is so desperate to be famous and known that
he do the most easy thing- shocking but in very simple and (it is my opinion) primitive way.

What do you think about contemporary art?
Do you agree that art is already dead?

13 comments:

  1. Maybe it's not that bad like Stanislaw Witkacy said. There were few really good artist after him. I thing the problem with contemporary art is different. Too many things and too many people cold something an art. This clip shows what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcG2vA_cuoo

    I have to agree with you that some people do something shocking and cold themselves an artist, but I cant agree that primitive can't be art. For example Epifaniusz Drowniak aka Nikifor was a master of primitive paining ;) It depend what you like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Art is just an impression that one has after seeing, listening or touching something. For me, everyone saying that art is dead, is just someone that doesn't see what he feels as art. For me, art was always there, it's here now and probably will be there in the future. It can be in the gallery, on websites, in albums, on walls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Term "contemporary art" is like a huge bag. There is enormouse number of activities nowadays that may be called art. I'm a big fan of so-called street art. It's something that is evolving every day. There's graffiti, there are templates and much more than that. It's a great time for this type of art. Being a fan of something that's on probably every street out there, I can't say that art is dead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I agree that primitive painting maybe an art. Actually it is an art.When I was talking about primitive painting I didn't mean kind or style like impressionism or just primitive painting but my opinion. I used it as an adjective in sense of foolish:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I am sure that Witkacy exactly knew what he feels as art:) He was a great thinker who spent all his life on studying the art. Maybe we should spend more time on thinking what the art means and if nowadays it is really created.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Indeed there is a trend to receive an art in a logic way - people analyse art objects and try to guess what an artist tried to communicate. But is it a contemporary trend? Maybe it helps people to feel an art. In the past (e.g. renaissance) artist did use symbolism to help people understand what was going on the painting. When there was a woman holding a lily, you could deduce that she was innocent etc. So in the past people also had to analyse a bit. Today it's just more complicated and it is more difficult for artist to stand out - they have to contrive:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dont want say anything about contemporary art because I dont know it very well. But I think there is a lot of people who care about this. I think that the true art will never die.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like s3874 said art was, is and will be there. Contemporary art will be called art of the XXI century and the future art will be called contemporary art. It is like a lifecycle which repeats over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm very critical about contemporary art, for me it defends itself only when artist's concept is fresh and amazing. I also have an impression that many modern artist don't have enough academical skills like drawing human body correctly or basics about perspective. Even if they wont use it in their future art, they should know stuff like that.
    I don't think that art could ever die.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I read some old book or watch some pictures I see something strange for me. As author of this presentation wrote - I can feel it, and often I don't understand what picture's author had in mind. Now we live in other times when are other requirements for recipients. Now we like if something is controversial. Not beautiful or ugly. We rating something by popularity. If something is more popularity - this is good, we like it and we are talking about. A few years ago photo in frame or letter had very big value. Now we don't appreciate this because we have hundreds of photos on our computers. Instead letters we have e-mails. Some things are repressed by other and this is normal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that contemporary art should be called art like all other styles from the past. It happens often that artists and their creations become acknowledged after a long time. It may apply to the newest trends as well, now most people consider them chaotic and they may be fully understood in the future. In my opinion contemporary art expresses the nature of our life nowadays. It is full of contradictions, different emotions, not always positive ones. Many of us feel their life is a mess. Contemporary art often depicts that. I do not agree that art is dead. However, the term 'artistic' has recently become too popular, I would even say it is fashionable. This can make us feel that art is gone. It is not, we only have to know how to distinguish between real art and pseudo-art.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like contemporary art because it violates the conventions. Personally, I do not have at home any works of contemporary artist, but if I had a lot of money I'd buy accordingly such image.

    I believe that art is not dead. Art need not be especially elaborate in order to fascinate. there are such many arts as the amount people in the world. today, everyone can find something that he admires.

    ReplyDelete