Monday 17 January 2011

How we perceive successes of Polish sportsmen?

Today I was watching ski jumping cup and I am wondering what a great influence media have on popularizing any kind of sport. In 2000, when Adam Małysz won his first World Cup, few people were interested in ski jumping. After that, more and more Polish people started to watch ski jumping cups on TV. Małysz won many more competitions and became one of the best ski jumpers in the world. When we realized how amazing he is, ski jumping had already become our national specialty. Everybody knew Małysz’s last results, everybody watched his jumping and standing on the podium on TV every evening. We knew all his rivals and characteristics of all ski jumps of World Cup. Adam Małysz brought us the biggest victory in sport that we had been waiting for so many years, and we loved him. Some time passed, and Małysz’s results started to get worse. Of course, they were great anyway, but we were expecting him to win every single year. People really forgot, that being on the top doesn’t mean being always the first one. The “worse” Małysz`s results were, the less interesting ski jumping became. Nevertheless, today Adam Małysz is still considered as one of the best ski jumpers and his form is improving again. We shouldn’t lose our faith in people who bring us such a great feelings so soon.


Were you watching ski jumping competitions when Adam Małysz was winning first prizes? Were you watching when he wasn’t winning? Why?

Do you think Małysz’s success will encourage young people to try themselves in sport like ski jumping? Would ski jumping become more popular sport for a long time or is this a short trend?

Source:

www.wikipedia.pl

photo: http://pl.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Plik:Harrachov-2001-Adam_Ma%C5%82ysz.jpg&filetimestamp=20070323185301

12 comments:

  1. I don't like sport. Only ski jumping is really fascinating for me. I don’t know why I’m keen on watching it. Maybe because of uncommon atmosphere it is so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not watch ski jumping because I'm not interested in it. I remember some times in sport camp my friends where watching it (me also), but it wasn't my favorite thing to do.

    It's not surprise for me that people forgot about Małysz when his form fell down, because people weren't interested in ski jumping, only in his wins. The passion is not there, so people aren't a real fans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also not a fan of sports of any kind, but it's nice that Poland has some disciplines in which we are at the forefront.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen even one tournament in ski jumping. It is boring and I am not interested this kind of sport. But it is good that our man Adas Malysz has won so many times. I think that it is not so popular sport as football but it has many supporters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My parents often watch ski jumping, so even if I'm not really into it, I always have some fresh news.
    I think that it's nice that some sports that aren't football(esp when we have such terrible representation) have some attention in tv. I'm sure that it makes those disciplines attractive for young people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Honestly I'm not interested at all in ski jumping. Like someone said before, it's just boring, but it's nice to know that Poles makes their success in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember this times when Adam Malysz started to be successful. I was in school and we don't have lesson because watched Adam's jumps. His good results caused that ski jumping is now more popular in Poland.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Without media in my opinion any sport would be popular and brings cash. For sure we love sports in which we see successes of polish sportmans. This situation we can see in mentioned earlier ski jumping. No one was excited about ski jumps before Adam Malysz. Now we have second great jumper Kamil Stoch who actually won his first Champion Cup, sadly Malysz has accident before his victorii during the same contest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never been interested in ski jumping. But I observed the tendency of people to treat ski jumping as our Polish national sport, of course it happened when Adam Małysz had his great successes. On the one hand it is not good that Poles expect Małysz to be the best jumper all the time (he achieved a lot and still has to cope with people's pressure), on the other hand however, Poland does not have many successful sportsmen. There are some good voleyball players, good swimmers, or Robert Kubica, the driver. But if we take into consideration our infamous national football team...no wonder that Poles love Adam Małysz.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't like ski jumping at all, and I was watching it rather rare. I'm proud of polish sportsmen especially Adaś because he is doing this sport for like 15 year and he is still in the top. We have now a new hope in ski jumping - Kamil Stoch - maybe some day he will make successes like Adaś Malysz.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the first success Malysz was very important. People loved the jumps in the television broadcast began. In Poland, the success of Adam jumps were not very popular now that has changed. we have a jumper of all time everyone admires him and has great respect for him. Little boys want to emulate him and train jumps. I think it is a great man and very humble.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always watch ski jumping competitions. My favourite jumper is Adam Malysz. He is not only a great ski jumper but also a super humble man, so that you have very many fans. I remember his last fall, when the whole audience began to sing for him, "Nothing happened ... Adasiu ... nothing happened". I was amazed that his fans weren't angry but they supported him...

    ReplyDelete