Saturday 15 January 2011

Best movies of 2010 - part I

I'm a movie enathusiast. So once again I would like to share with you my opinion about interesting movies that appeared on the silver screen in 2010. I mentioned previously about the movie "The Next Three Days":

http://pjwstk3ms.blogspot.com/2010/12/life-choices.html

A few days ago I watched a movie about a very similar story - that of an innocent person convicted of murder. The movie is called "Conviction" and tells the story of a sister who is changing her live to prove the innocence of her brother who was accused of murdering a woman. Betty Anne (Hilary Swank) decides to become a lawyer to be able to defend her brother Kenny (Sam Rockwell) in court and prove that he had not committed this terrible crime. As you probably know finishing law school is a long process by which Betty Anne not only lost contact with her children but also got divorced from her husband.



Suprisingly the movie is based on facts and events that took place in the '90s in Massachusetts, USA.

In the movie the following question is asked: would you be able devote most of your life to your brother or sister or any close person?

Another movie worth watching is called "Never Let Me Go". It tells the story of three children (Ruth, Kathy and Tommy) who spend their childhood together in an English boarding school Hailsham. „As they grow into young adults” (IMDb) they find out that their life mission is already set out and that they are going to be organ donors. The movie includes also a love story between the three main characters and the true face of their suffering.



What would you do if you found out that you were created to be an organ donor? Do you think that similar practices still take place in the modern world?

10 comments:

  1. It is really difficult question, but propably I would like to change my future. Those pracitices can take place in the modern world, somewhere for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it is too abstract question. Nobody knows what whould he/she do in that situation or the other. You will never found out what would you do as long as you are in that situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Never let me go" seems to have a great plot.

    Talking about "the best of" category has one significant flaw. This title should have "for me" suffix.

    For me, this list should contain "Green zone" as probably the best movie about contemporary war and mechanisms that are behind it. When speaking of sci-fi category, "Monsters" seems like a great candidate. Maybe "Inception" should be there too. "Tron: Legacy" should probably be mentioned there too.

    I'm not much a movie watcher and that's all that comes to my mind at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The trailer "Never let me go" seems very nice but I’m afraid that it can be just like the others of Hollywood’s films full of pathos and lofty scenes. I hope I’m wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be in true heaven! What do you thing? It's ridiculous situation, which can't be accepted. In modern world people just kidnap people and cut them to get organs, so in some ways it is similar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would start to plan your life. I would like to know how much time is left for me. Besides, I would be in a huge shock! I do not know what I would do. I can not imagine it. I hope so that similar practices dont take place in the modern world. Anyway I never heard about about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbhrz1-4hN4

    ...but seriously, both of those movies look interesting :)
    As most of other people wrote I can't and don't want to imagine myself in such horrible situation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @s3874: You are right. That is a movie list based on my movie preferences and unfortunately the list has still considerable gaps. I watch an average of one movie per day and there are more movies that I could recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. First movie "Conviction" looks interesting for me. I will watch it very soon :) I can't answer on your questions because both situations are hard for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would agree to donating organs after death to someone who needs them. I think there would be no point in keeping organs for myself after I die if there was a life that could be saved thanks to them. In my opinion, the practice of donating organs is a good one. It happens often that someone is kidnapped for their organs, it should be severely penalized, whereas voluntary donations should be supported. Both movies presented seem interesting.

    ReplyDelete